5 September 2014
You are here: News - 10 Things To Do In The Drakensberg
The Drakensberg is one of the most famous destinations for holiday makers in South Africa and is an area rich in historical and cultural history. Here are some things to do when visiting the Berg:
- Drakensberg Boys' Choir: Enjoy a world-class show as you listen to the beautiful sounds of these young voices.
- Battlefields Route: Go on one of the legendary Battlefield Tours in the area. You can enjoy a self-guided tour, or choose the service of a knowledgeable guide to look around the most prominent sites and learn about the battles that took place many years ago.
- Nelson Mandela Capture Site: Situated in the Midlands, the site of Nelson Mandela's capture before his 27 year jail sentence has a museum and outdoor display area.
- World-class hiking trails are everywhere to be found: There is a trail for all fitness levels and ages and these are some of the best in the country. Most hikes in the Berg boast the most incredible views, enviable skies, open spaces, sheer rock faces, caves and waterfalls.
- Giant's Castle Game Reserve: This beautiful reserve offering glorious views for hikers and mountain climbers as well as one of the best preserved sandstone caves with San rock art.
- Horse Trails: Explore the mountains on horseback. Different tours are available depending on your level of expertise. Explore the forests, the grass lands, the Zulu villages and the cave paintings under the supervision of an expert guide.
- Adventure activities: Get the adrenalin pumping - whether it-s paintball, tree top zip-lining, abseiling, geckoing (white water tubing) or mountain bike trails.
- Falcon Ridge Birds of Prey Centre: Enjoy an impressive presentation and learn more about these fascinating creatures and the art of Falconry.
- Arts & crafts and country stalls: Travel through the Berg and visit the quaint arts and crafts stalls on offer. The Midlands Meander is one of the most prominent spots for this kind of experience.
- Recharge: Book some treatments at our onsite Body Bliss Day Spa and get pampered from head to toe by our qualified and friendly staff.